Asparagus + Tarragon + Chive Soup
Makes 10 cups
When you see beautiful, crisp, bright green, tender asparagus on sale in the spring this is the time to make this soup. It is a satiny smooth, pureed soup of asparagus + chive + tarragon that is so delicious that I forget it’s loaded with vegetables, nutrients, bone broth, and love!
Asparagus not in season? Sub the asparagus out for almost any other vegetable and you still have a delicious soup.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet white onion, small diced = 3 cups
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled, rough chopped
- 5 celery ribs, trimmed, small dice = 1.5 cups
- 2 medium jalapeno, seeds removed, small dice
- 4 cups broth, either chicken or veggie
- 1.5 teaspoons salt (or more in your broth was not salted)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 bunches asparagus-bottoms snapped off, rinsed, cut into 1- inch pieces = 8 cups
- 1 bunch chives, cut into 1/4 inch pieces = 1/3 cup
- 8 sprigs tarragon, leaves chopped fine = 2 tablespoons
In a 6 quart or larger pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft and translucent but not brown at all. Add the celery and jalapeno and cook till they are soft, stirring occasionally. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the salt, pepper, asparagus, and chives. Simmer just till asparagus is soft, but still bright green. This will only take about 5 minutes if your broth was boiling when you added the asparagus. Immediately turn off the heat. Ladle the soup into your blender in batches. Blend till completely smooth. Once all of the soup is pureed, stir in the chopped tarragon.
This soup freezes well. Serve topped with a drizzle of good olive oil, more chopped herbs, a drizzle of cream or a dollop of sour cream. We ate it with a spring salad for dinner! Whisking in a plain protein powder would work great here too if you’re trying to up your protein intake after bariatric surgery.
With so much love, Rose